Work First Family Assistance (WFFA)

Provides temporary monthly assistance to families with children. All families are required to sign a Mutual Responsibility Agreement that details their plan to become non-dependent on public assistance. Most families that include an adult are subject to a federal 60-month time limit and a state 24-month limit on receipt of this assistance.


In order to be eligible for a WFFA check:

  • There must be a child age 18 or younger in the home
  • The child(ren) must live with an adult relative who is within a certain degree of kinship or with a non-relative who has legal custody or legal guardianship
  • The family must meet income and resources guidelines
  • Unless exempt, adults in the household are subject to work requirements
  • All family members need to provide or apply for Social Security number
  • Must meet citizenship and residency requirements
  • Must cooperate with Child Support requirements when applicable

In lieu of a monthly WFFA check, families may receive Benefit Diversion. 

Additional Information

Contact Jill McCracken, 828-452-6620 ext. 2368, Briana Bright, 828-452-6620 ext 2358, or Emily Sosebee, 828-452-6620 ext 2439 for more information.  

Equal Opportunity Employer & Provider

Haywood County Health and Human Services Agency is an equal opportunity employer and provider.