Food & Nutrition Services


Food and Nutrition Services provides food assistance benefits to low-income households so they may purchase the food they need for a nutritionally adequate diet. 

Electronic Benefit Transfer Card

Benefits are issued via an Electronic Benefit Transfer Card (EBT), and eligibility is determined by many factors such as income, citizenship and sometimes resources.  Applicants can apply in person, by phone or by mail.  Alternately, applicants can apply through the online application system, NC ePASS.

Welcome to ePass Video

ePass Fact Sheet

2020-2021 School Year: NC Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer Information

Año escolar 2020-2021: Información sobre el Programa de Transferencia Electrónica de Beneficios de NC debido a la Pandemia (P-EBT por sus siglas en ingles)

Equal Opportunity

Interpreter services are available at no cost.

Additional Information

Call 828-452-6620, option 3 for more information about Food and Nutrition services.

Submit Information Regarding your Application or Recertification

Beginning 7/1/23 Food and Nutrition Time Limit Rules

Beginning 7/1/23 Food and Nutrition Suspension of Claims Collections

Federal Law

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Under the Food Stamp Act and USDA policy, discrimination is prohibited also on the basis of religion or political beliefs. To file a complaint of discrimination, contact USDA or HHS. Write A, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250‐9410 or call 800-795-3272 (voice) or 202-720-6382 (TTY). Write HHS, Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 506‐F, 200 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20201 or call 202-619-0403 (voice) or 202-619-3257 (TTY). USDA and HHS are equal opportunity providers and employers.