Visiting Haywood County
Home to Waynesville, Maggie Valley, Lake Junaluska, Canton and Clyde; Haywood County, North Carolina is located 20 miles west of Asheville. Best known for its 46 miles of along the Blue Ridge Parkway, Haywood County offers four entrances to its many hiking, overlooks and picnic spots. Haywood County is also home to part of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the most visited National Park in the U.S. The region has also been designated a Blue Ridge Heritage area and is well known for its creativity in arts and crafts.
Fourteen peaks in the Great Smoky Mountains soar to elevations of at least 6,000 feet (more than any east of the Mississippi River), and the county is one of the highest east of the Rockies, with a mean elevation of 3,600 feet. Notable mountain peaks include Cold Mountain—the basis for the award-winning, best-selling novel by Charles Frazier and the ensuing 2003 major motion picture—at 6,030 feet, Mt. Guyot at 6,621 feet and Richland Balsam at 6,410 feet in elevation.
Haywood County also offers plenty of other activities including yearly festivals & events, historical sites & museums, art & theater, local food and beer, as well as seasonal activities such as golfing & skiing. Regardless of when you visit Haywood County offers an authentic Appalachian experience.
Haywood County is centrally located in the Southeast region of the United States and easily reached from most places, either by automobile or plane. Haywood County is located only 20 minutes west of Asheville, NC and 20 minutes east of Cherokee, NC.
Drive Times to Haywood County:
- Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg TN: 1.25 hours
- Atlanta GA: 2.5 hours
- Charleston SC: 4.5 hours
- Knoxville TN: 1.5 hours
- Columbia SC: 3.5 hours
- Greenville SC: 1.5 hours
Important Links For Visitors
- Haywood County Tourism Development Authority - visitncsmokies.com
- Downtown Waynesville Association - downtownwaynesville.com
- Maggie Valley - maggievalley.org
- Maggie Valley Festival Grounds - maggievalleyfestivalgrounds.com
- Town Of Canton - cantonnc.com
- Cataloochee - https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/cataloochee.htm
- Folkmoot USA - folkmoot.org
- Shelton House - Museum of Handicrafts - sheltonhouse.org